Strategic Diversification for Asynchronous Asset Trading: Insights from Generalized Coherence Analysis of Cryptocurrency Price Movements
Non-linear interactions between cryptocurrency price movements can elicit cross-frequency coupling (CFC) wherein one set of frequencies in the 1st timeseries is coupled to another set of frequencies in the 2nd timeseries. To investigate this, we use a generalized coherence approach to detect and quantify both linear (i.e., iso-frequency coupling, IFC) and non-linear coherence (CFC) and the associated phase relationships between the intra-day price changes of various pairs of cryptocurrencies for the year 2020. Using this information, we further assess the risk reduction associated with diversification of portfolios between each pair of a small market capital and a large market capital cryptocurrency, for both synchronous and asynchronous trading conditions. While mean pairwise IFC values were lower for smaller cryptocurrencies, pairwise CFC values were more heterogeneous and had no correlation with the market capital size. Diversification of portfolios resulted in reduced risk for synchronously-traded pairs of those cryptocurrencies which had low IFC. For asynchronous trading conditions, if the larger market capital cryptocurrency was traded at a higher frequency, diversification almost always reduced risk. Thus, the novel approach used in this study reveals important insights into the complex dynamics that govern the price trends of cryptocurrencies.
Aguiar-Conraria, L., Azevedo, N., Soares, M. J. “Using Wavelets to Decompose the Time–Frequency Effects of Monetary Policy.” Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 387.12 2863-2878 (2008) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2008.01.063.
Bonneau, J., Miller, A., Clark, J., Narayanan, A., Kroll, J. A., Felten, E. W. “SoK: Research Perspectives and Challenges for Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies.” In 2015 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, 17-21 May 2015 104-121 (2015) https://doi.org/10.1109/SP.2015.14.
Bouchaud, J.-P. “Economics Needs a Scientific Revolution.” Nature 455.7217 1181-1181 (2008) https://doi.org/10.1038/4551181a.
Bouri, E., Gupta, R., Roubaud, D. “Herding Behaviour in Cryptocurrencies.” Finance Research Letters 29 216-221 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2018.07.008.
Cai, X. J., Tian, S., Yuan, N., Hamori, S. “Interdependence Between Oil and East Asian Stock Markets: Evidence from Wavelet Coherence Analysis.” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 48 206-223 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2017.02.001.
Chen, Y., Bellavitis, C. “Blockchain Disruption and Decentralized Finance: The Rise of Decentralized Business Models.” Journal of Business Venturing Insights 13 e00151 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbvi.2019.e00151.
CoinGecko. “Cryptocurrency Prices by Market Cap.” (accessed 20 September 2021) https://www.coingecko.com/en.
CoinGecko. “Top Cryptocurrency Exchanges Ranking by Trust Score - Spot.” (accessed 20 September 2021) https://www.coingecko.com/en/exchanges.
CoinMarketCap. “Today’s Cryptocurrency Prices by Market Cap.” (accessed 12 December 2020) https://coinmarketcap.com/.
Conway, L. “Best Crypto Exchanges.” Investopedia. (2021) https://www.investopedia.com/best-crypto-exchanges-5071855.
CryptoSlate. “Smart Contracts Coins.” (accessed 20 September 2021) https://cryptoslate.com/cryptos/smart-contracts/.
De Hemptinne, C., et al. “Exaggerated Phase–Amplitude Coupling in the Primary Motor Cortex in Parkinson Disease.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110.12 4780-4785 (2013) https://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1214546110.
ElBahrawy, A., Alessandretti, L., Kandler, A., Pastor-Satorras, R., Baronchelli, A. “Evolutionary Dynamics of the Cryptocurrency Market.” Royal Society Open Science 4.11 170623 https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.170623.
Enoksen, F. A., Landsnes, C. J., Lučivjanská, K., Molnár, P. “Understanding Risk of Bubbles in Cryptocurrencies.” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 176 129-144 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2020.05.005.
Frankenfield, J. “Bitcoin Cash Definition.” Investopedia (2020) https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bitcoin-cash.asp.
Gao, B., et al. “Tracking Counterfeit Cryptocurrency End-to-End,” Proc. ACM Meas. Anal. Comput. Syst. 4.3 Article 50 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1145/3428335.
Glaser, F., Zimmermann, K., Haferkorn, M., Weber, M. C. “Bitcoin - Asset or Currency? Revealing Users’ Hidden Intentions.” SSRN (accessed 20 September 2021) https://ssrn.com/abstract=2425247.
Jain, A. K., Dubes, R. C. Algorithms for Clustering Data. Prentice-Hall (1988).
Katsiampa, P., Corbet, S., Lucey, B. “High Frequency Volatility Co-Movements in Cryptocurrency Markets.” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 62 35-52 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2019.05.003.
Katsiampa, P., Corbet, S., Lucey, B. “Volatility Spillover Effects in Leading Cryptocurrencies: A BEKK-MGARCH Analysis.” Finance Research Letters 29 68-74 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2019.03.009.
Kethineni, S., Cao, Y. “The Rise in Popularity of Cryptocurrency and Associated Criminal Activity.” International Criminal Justice Review 30.3 325-344 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1177/1057567719827051.
Kwon, Y., Kim, H., Shin, J., Kim, Y. “Bitcoin vs. Bitcoin Cash: Coexistence or Downfall of Bitcoin Cash?” In 2019 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP), 19-23 May 2019 (2019) 935-951 https://doi.org/10.1109/SP.2019.00075.
Lansky, J. “Practical Applications of Cryptocurrency Survival Analysis.” The Journal of Alternative Investments 22.Supplement2 1 (2020) https://doi.org/10.3905/jai.22.s2.020.
Liu, W. “Portfolio Diversification Across Cryptocurrencies.” Finance Research Letters 29 200-205 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2018.07.010.
Lucchini, L., Alessandretti, L., Lepri, B., Gallo, A., Baronchelli, A. “From Code to Market: Network of Developers and Correlated Returns of Cryptocurrencies.” Science Advances 6.51 eabd2204 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abd2204.
Mahdavi-Damghani, B., Fraser, R., Howell, J., Halldorsson, J. “Cryptocurrency Sectorisation Through Clustering and Webscraping: Application to Systematic Trading.” (preprint) (2021) https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.13136.84488.
Mantegna, R. N. “Hierarchical Structure in Financial Markets.” The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems 11.1 193-197 (1999) https://doi.org/10.1007/s100510050929.
Martinez, A. “China-Based Cryptos on the Rise: NEO, Ontology, and Qtum Technical Analysis.” (2019) https://cryptoslate.com/china-based-cryptos-on-the-rise-neo-ontology-and-qtum-technical-analysis/.
MathWorks. Statistical and Machine Learning Toolbox. Natick, Massachusetts: United States (2020).
McHardy, S. “python-binance (Version 0.7.7) [Source code].” (accessed 20 September 2021, current version 1.0.14) https://github.com/sammchardy/python-binance.
McMillan, R. “Ex-Googler Gives the World a Better Bitcoin.” Wired (2013) https://www.wired.com/2013/08/litecoin/.
Nakamoto, S. “Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System.” (accessed 31 December 2020) https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf.
Nica, O. Piotrowska, K, Schenk-Hoppé, K. R. “Cryptocurrencies: Economic Benefits and Risks.” European Economics: Macroeconomics & Monetary Economics eJournal, 2017.
Nikias, C. L., Mendel, J. M. “Signal Processing with Higher-Order Spectra.” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 10.3 10-37 (1993) https://doi.org/10.1109/79.221324.
Omane-Adjepong, M., Alagidede, I. P. “Multiresolution Analysis and Spillovers of Major Cryptocurrency Markets.” Research in International Business and Finance 49 191-206 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2019.03.003.
Phillips, R. C., Gorse, D. “Cryptocurrency Price Drivers: Wavelet Coherence Analysis Revisited.” PLOS ONE 13.4 e0195200 (2018) https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0195200.
Plerou, V., Gopikrishnan, P., Rosenow, B., Nunes Amaral, L. A., Stanley, H. E. “Universal and Nonuniversal Properties of Cross Correlations in Financial Time Series.” Physical Review Letters 83.7 1471-1474 (1999) https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.83.1471.
Qiao, X., Zhu, H., Hau, L. “Time-Frequency Co-Movement of Cryptocurrency Return and Volatility: Evidence from Wavelet Coherence Analysis.” International Review of Financial Analysis 71 101541 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2020.101541.
Reboredo, J. C., Rivera-Castro, M. A. “Gold and Exchange Rates: Downside Risk and Hedging at Different Investment Horizons.” International Review of Economics & Finance 34 267-279 (2014) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2014.07.005.
Seth, S. “6 Private Cryptocurrencies,” Investopedia (2021) https://www.investopedia.com/tech/five-most-private-cryptocurrencies/.
Sigaki, H. Y. D., Perc, M., Ribeiro, H. V. “Clustering Patterns in Efficiency and the Coming-of-Age of the Cryptocurrency Market.” Scientific Reports 9.1 1440 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-37773-3.
Sokal, R. R., Rohlf, F. J. “The Comparison of Dendrograms by Objective Methods.” Taxon 11.2 33-40 (1962) https:/doi.org/10.2307/1217208.
Stosic, D., Stosic, D., Ludermir, T. B., Stosic, T. “Collective Behavior of Cryptocurrency Price Changes.” Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 507 499-509 (2018) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2018.05.050.
Thompson, R. O. R. Y. “Coherence Significance Levels.” Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 36.10 2020-2021 (1979) https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1979)036<2020:CSL>2.0.CO;2.
Weber, B. “Bitcoin and the Legitimacy Crisis of Money.” Cambridge Journal of Economics 40.1 17-41 (2016) http://doi.org/10.1093/cje/beu067.
Won, D. “XLM vs. XRP (Stellar vs. Ripple): The 2020 Full Comparison.” (2020) https://www.exodus.io/blog/stellar-vs-ripple/.
Yang, Y., Schouten, A. C., Solis-Escalante, T., van der Helm, F. C. “Probing the Nonlinearity in Neural Systems Using Cross-Frequency Coherence Framework.” IFAC-PapersOnLine 48.28 1386-1390 (2015) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2015.12.326.
Yang, Y., Solis-Escalante, T., van de Ruit, M., van der Helm, F. C. T., Schouten, A. C., “Nonlinear Coupling Between Cortical Oscillations and Muscle Activity During Isotonic Wrist Flexion.” Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience 2016.10 126 (2016) https://doi.org/10.3389/fncom.2016.00126.
Yang, Y., Solis-Escalante,T. van der Helm, F. C., Schouten, A. C. “A Generalized Coherence Framework for Detecting and Characterizing Nonlinear Interactions in the Nervous System.” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 63.12 2629-2637 (2016) https://doi.org/10.1109/tbme.2016.2585097.
Yermack, D. “Chapter 2 - Is Bitcoin a Real Currency? An Economic Appraisal.” In Lee Kuo Chuen, D., Ed., Handbook of Digital Currency. San Diego: Academic Press (2015) 31-43.
Zahn, C. T. “Graph-Theoretical Methods for Detecting and Describing Gestalt Clusters.” IEEE Transactions on Computers C-20.1 68-86 (1971) https://doi.org/10.1109/T-C.1971.223083.
Copyright (c) 2021 Nirvik Sinha, Yuan Yang
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
- The Author agrees to digitally sign the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.